- Wine Season Checklist
Wine Season Checklist
Get Your Wine Season Started Right!
- Grapes- Be sure to check out our local grape growers page if you haven't source your grapes yet!
- Potassium Metabisulfite (SO2) - For sanitizing(3 tbsp per 1 gallon water) and treating your must (1/4 tsp per 5 gallons or 1 tsp per 20 gallons)
- Primary Fermentaters- Generally recommend large food grade plastic bucket fermenters. As a rough guideline you get 1 gallon of must for every 10 lbs of grapes picked.
- Measuring Instruments- Refractometer (for measuring starting brix in grapes and must), Hydrometer (for measuring Starting and Final Gravity), pH Meter (for checking your own pH), Thermometer (for keeping an eye on fermentation temperatures)
- Punch Down Tool- To keep the grape skins submerged during active fermentation (recommended twice daily during active fermentation)
- Crusher/Destemmer- Purchase or available to rent from us.
- Press- Purchase or rent from us.
- Yeast- We stock a large variety of high quality cultures for all varietals. Speak to our associates to help find find the best choice.
- Nutrients- Go Ferm and Fermaid K. Inexpensive insurance for you yeast, these in combination will will ensure a healthy fermentation that completes to dry with less off-flavors produced.
- Malolactic (ML) Culture- For converting harsh malic acids into softer lactic acids. Can be done concurrently with alcoholic fermentation, provided there is no change of a stuck fermentation. If there is a possibility of this happening, perform this after fermentation has completely finished.
- Secondary Fermenters- Tanks, Barrels, and/or Carboys.